SCA Staff: “Who’s who in the zoo”
As we move towards the next exciting chapter of the Sports Chaplaincy Australia journey, there have been some changes in roles for our National and State Staff. So that our wide network of chaplains, supporters, and friends can smoothly connect with SCA, we wanted to let you know “who’s who in the zoo”. You can find the phone and email contacts for just about everyone below HERE
Our primary state contacts still look much the same:
- Ron Hunt is still our point person in Western Australia, with Kim van Keule as senior trainer.
- Roger Johnson keeps South Australia together, with the support of Bruce Rankin (among others). Roger also looks after Northern Territory, with the support of Pat King.
- In Victoria, Simon Beasy is our Melbourne-based coordinator. Bruce Claridge looks after regional Victoria, with the support of David Hobbs in Gippsland.
- Hannah Johnson embraces New South Wales and Queensland – with a host of support around her in both CBTs and training. Just a reminder that Hannah is busily occupied with the Commonwealth Games at the moment – but still makes space for SCA. There are also some changes coming up in both states, including Sue Stubbings starting as a volunteer administration support / contact person.
At a national level:
- Barby Bateman is still supporting membership (accreditation) and training, as well as providing the contact point for most enquiries. Sadly, Kathy Apelt – who had been doing a great job in parallel with Barby – has finished with us and is focusing on another ministry role. Hannah Wackrow, who was supporting Herbert brilliantly in ClubCare, has also moved on.
- Peter Coburn has moved into a part-time systems and IT support and implementation role.
- Doug Lyte remains all things to all people when it comes to accounts and finance.
- Cam Butler (yes, THE Cam Butler) is providing invaluable support around a few specialist activities for a couple of days a week.
- Russ Harmon heads up life saving chaplaincy, and Jo Briody organises Russ to be able to do so. Greg Perren provides network support in Queensland – where Russ, Jo and Greg are based.
- Herbert Um is operating as the general manager / operations / let’s make sure we’re getting the right outcomes person – along with continuing to develop ClubCare ACCESS. Herbert, Doug and Barby will be the regulars at the Melbourne office.
- Steve Stubbings is interim National Director – along with encouraging training and the growth of chaplaincy to continue as before. Steve has moved (back) to Sydney, and will be working out of NSW Sports House, in Sydney Olympic Park.
Some of the above are volunteers, some are paid (mostly part-time). They are all dedicated to the ministry of sports chaplaincy, and will be happy to help you at any stage.
If you are interested in becoming more actively involved as a volunteer – no matter where you’re located – we’d love to hear from you. Get in touch with your local contact.
Thank you for the role you play on our team! Whether you are a chaplain, supporting chaplains, an advocate for chaplaincy, or a friend of SCA, your contribution is highly valued.
SCA depends on all the dedicated men and women who want to see a chaplain providing grace and mercy in every sports community in Australia.
Keep up the amazing work!